In this article we are going to go over using VSX on a separate bus so that users can easily switch between the headphones and speakers without having to bypass constantly when trying to A/B. In LUNA UA allows the option to create headphone mixes very easily so this will allow for a great workflow.
1. Create a VSX HP Bus that goes to the HP output of the interface and put VSX on it.
2. Send the Output of the Main Mix Bus to the VSX Send.
Another option for creating and "Multing" a Mix bus.
- Select all the tracks in the session and hit SHIFT CMND B to create a Bus track and name it "Mix Bus" then be sure to route all audio in the session to this bus.
- Create another Bus track called VSX and then route the VSX track output to "None"
then turn up the HP send on the VSX track and set it to pre fader.
Finally, instantiate the VSX AU plugin on this track.
- Hold down the CMND Modifier and Mult / Duplicate the output of this "Mix Bus" and send it out Main out 1-2 and the VSX Bus.
- Route HP to A HP of the Audio Interface.
Now the speaker outputs will be "clean" and not have the VSX room models on it while the headphones will always have VSX sounds making it very easy to switch between Speakers and Headphones. NOTE: All mastering effects should be done on the MixBus/Group track so that the users are hearing the final master through the VSX plugin. If more plugins are added to the Master fader then these will not be heard through the VSX plugin return track. If using Room Modeling software such as Sonarworks, be sure to add this plugin on the Master Fader track so users aren't "Double Monitoring" through Sonarworks and VSX as this will blur the accuracy of the VSX Hardware.